top of page
  • webmaster9923

Applying for residency as a business owner (Visa or Arraigo routes)

Updated: Aug 5, 2022

If you are planning to apply for residency in Spain as a future business owner, either with the self-employed visa or with arraigo social authorisation, you will need to include in your application some documents detailing the activity you want to develop.

The documents that you will need to include to your visa or arraigo social application are the following:

  • Copy of your Passport (all pages), with validity for the whole stay and at least 2 blank pages

  • Copy of the document that certifies the professional qualifications/training required to carry out your job

  • Document that accredits the professional qualifications/training required to develop your business (legal and professional qualification)

  • Document that ensures you have enough economic means to develop your business, or the business loan to fund the project

  • Business plan, with the planned investment, cost-effectiveness and expected job positions

If you wish so, you can accredit the last three points (professional qualifications/training, economic means and business plan) through one of these institutions sponsored by the Spanish authorities:

  • Federación Nacional de Asociaciones de Empresarios y Trabajadores Autónomos (ATA)

  • Unión de Profesionales y Trabajadores Autónomos (UPTA)

  • Confederación Intersectorial de Autónomos del Espato Español (CIAE)

  • Organización de Profesionales y Autónomos (OPA)

  • Unión de Asociaciones de Trabajadores Autónomos y Emprendedores (UATAE)

Documents depending on the type of business:

  • Retail business and services developed in spaces of less than 300sq/m: a declaration of responsibility and receipt of the required fee.

  • Other activities: authorisations and licences required (depending on the activity)

Note: All official documents (birth certificate/death, marriage certificate/divorce, criminal record) must be legalised through the consular representations of the issuing country or hold the Hague Apostille, except official documents issued by a Member State of the European Union.

In Age in Spain we do not provide legal advice on this matter and we cannot recommend services. However, you can find help in one of the following links:


Before you go!

We absolutely depend upon the vital support of people like you to ensure that our services are freely available for everyone who needs help. Since the ending of our successful UK Government funded residency project earlier this year, we no longer get any government financial support. So from July 2022, we don’t have enough money to keep our Infoline and Casework support services running full time.

Can you help us?

Your regular donation of just €10 per month will enable us to provide a weekly friendship call to an isolated older person, every week of the year.

Your one off donation of €50 will enable us to make a home visit to a vulnerable person who is struggling to access vital services.

A regular donation of €100 per month will enable us to open our phone lines for longer, so we can continue to help make a difference every day of the week.

It’s easy to make a donation by credit or debit card - here is the link to our donations page.

Claim up to 80% tax relief on your donation

If you are a tax payer in Spain, you can claim up to 80% tax relief on your donations of up to 150€ in any tax year and 35% tax relief on amounts over that. So a 20€ donation could cost you only 4€ - or a donation of 100€ would cost you just 20€. We will send you a receipt so you can reclaim your tax when you submit your tax return. We absolutely depend upon the vital support of people like you to ensure that our services are freely available for everyone who needs help.

Please donate if you can: Thank you.

Was this guide helpful? Sign up here for our free quarterly newsletter to keep up to date with news and exclusive articles to help you live your life in Spain.



The content displayed on this blog is the intellectual property of Age in Spain. You may not reuse, republish, or reprint such content without our written consent. All information posted is merely for educational and informational purposes. It is not intended as a substitute for professional advice. Should you decide to act upon any information on this blog, you do so at your own risk. While the information on this blog has been verified to the best of our abilities, we cannot guarantee that there are no mistakes or errors. We reserve the right to change this policy at any given time, of which you will be promptly updated. If you want to make sure that you are up to date with the latest changes, we advise you to frequently visit our website disclaimer notice.

Age in Spain provides information about service providers for information only. This list is not exhaustive, and is subject to change at any time. None of the service providers are endorsed or recommended by Age in Spain. You should research whether a service provider will be suitable. Age in Spain does not accept any liability arising to any person for any loss or damage suffered through using these service providers or this information.

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page