• Age in Spain Team

Non-lucrative visa - Guide

Updated: Jul 6

Currently, there is one visa available for non-lucrative stays in Spain. Keep in mind that this visa won’t allow any professional activity in Spanish territories. Visado de residencia no lucrativa

This is a document directed at those third country nationals that wish to stay in Spain without performing a professional activity for the duration of 1 year. While this visa won't allow you to work in a Spanish company/business, you will still be able to work remotely in another country. The requirements are the following:

  • Being a third country national (outside the EU, EEA or Switzerland)

  • To not be living in Spain illegally

  • Have no criminal record in Spain and in the previous countries of residence

  • Not be banned from the country (not appear as objectionable in Spain, the EU or other third countries)

  • Provide proof of sufficient economic means for the stay and return, as well as for your family members and dependants

  • Provide proof of healthcare coverage (public or private) equivalent to the Spanish Public Healthcare System (no copayment)

  • Not suffer any illness that could pose a threat to the public health

  • Not find yourself within the term of a non-return commitment.

You will be able to present your application at the Spanish consular office in your region. You can check which office you should attend here. Before starting the process, you will need to book an appointment to your consular office. To do so, you will need to send an email to the following email address depending on where you live:

  • cog.londres.residencia@maec.es (London)

  • cog.edimburgo.vis@maec.es (Edinburgh)

  • cog.manchester.vis@maec.es (Manchester)

In the email, write down as subject the type of visa you are looking for (non-lucrative visa). On the body of the email, specify the following information:

  • Your personal details: full name, nationality, passport nº and phone number.

  • Type of visa

  • Reason of requesting the visa.

  • Desired date of the appointment you wish to book the appointment (the consular offices only are open for these processes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 09:30 to 12:00), to be confirmed by the consular office.

The process will be individual, so each family member that wants to apply for the visa will require a separate appointment. After obtaining the appointment, and if you comply with the requirements, you will have to provide the following documents to the consular office:

  • Completed Model EX-01 (2 copies)

  • Completed national visa form (dated and signed)

  • Recent ID photograph (white background). Check guidelines here.

  • Tasa 790, code 052 (3 copies and the receipt of payment)

  • Passport (at least 1 full year of validity and 2 blank pages)

  • Recent criminal record from the country/es you lived in the past 5 years, no more than 3 months old (only 18+)

  • Proof of sufficient economic means, which can be: Bank statements showing at least a monthly amount of the 400% IPREM for yourself, plus 100% IPREM for any extra family member you include in your application (2.259'60 euros/month, plus 564'90 euros per dependant).

  • Health insurance policy (public or private)

  • Medical certificate (not more than 3 months old), with a certified translation into Spanish.

  • Pay the visa application fee in the consulate. You can consult the different visa fees through this link.

Legal partners and children of the applicant will also have to present the marriage or birth certificate, properly legalised with a Hague apostille. Note: All official documents (birth certificate/death, marriage certificate/divorce, criminal record) must be legalised through the consular representations of the issuing country or hold the Hague Apostille, except official documents issued by a Member State of the European Union.


Once you presented all documents, the notification period can take up to 3 months counting from the next day of the presentation. If approved, you will have one month after the notification to pick it up. After receiving the visa, you will have up to 3 months to enter Spain. This initial authorization will last for a full year and its validity will start once you enter Spain. Within a month after your arrival, you will need to apply for a Foreigner Identity Card (TIE). The first visa will grant you residency in Spain for 1 year, with the possibility to renovate it. Each renovation will grant you 2 more years of residency. After 5 years you will be able to apply for the permanent residency permit (valid for 5 years with the possibility to renovate). Applying for the TIE

To request the TIE it is necessary to make an appointment online with the Oficina de Extranjeros -cita previa-, which can be done by clicking this link. Select the province where you live and the option “Policia-Toma de Huellas (Expedición de tarjeta) y Renovación de Tarjeta de larga duración” -Trámites Cuerpo Nacional de Policía tab-, and follow the further instructions. Completing this process will arrange an appointment at an Immigration Office or your local Police Station for a specific date and time. Once the appointment is arranged, you will need to provide the following documents:

  • Filled Model EX-17 form (original and copy)

  • Passport (original and copy) with the Visa attached

  • Receipt of payment of the tax 790 code 012. You can complete and download the form here. Also, find the list of institutions associated with the payment of fees by direct debit system here

  • Passport-size photograph 32x26 (ID photograph)

  • Padrón (if you changed your address). Original and copy, issued within the last 3 months.

In the case the police don't inform you about how to pick up your new TIE, you will be able to pick up your card by booking an appointment here. Select the province where you live and the option “Policia-Recogida Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero” -Trámites Cuerpo Nacional de Policía tab-.

815 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All