• Age in Spain Team

Golden visa - Guide

Updated: Jul 6

On 31 December 2020 the transition period ended and the UK completed the EU exit process. This means that from 1 January 2021 onwards the UK is considered a third country by all EU states. In terms of residency, this means that anyone who wasn’t covered by the Withdrawal Agreement (anyone who wasn’t a resident in an EU state or started the process to become one before the end of 2020) will have to adapt to the new regulations in terms of immigration. In Spain, this means that UK nationals will be subject to the general regime of Immigration (Régimen General).

What is the General Immigration Regime?

The General Immigration Regime is a set of migration rules and requirements for third country nationals that wish to live in Spain. Unlike the Community Regime (directed at EU nationals), the General Regime does not grant the right to work or move to Spain based on your nationality. Instead, there is a set of visa requirements you will need to fulfill in order to live in Spain. This, among other things, means you will need to specify in advance what is your intention for moving to Spain, declare that you have sufficient economic means to do so, or present an employment contract with a company based in Spain.

The golden visa

UK nationals who make an investment in Real Estate goods in Spain that are worth 500,000 € or more, without liens or encumbrances, are eligible to apply for this visa. This visa is also known as "Investor visa".

The portion of the investment exceeding the required amount may be subject to liens or encumbrances.

General requirements

Before starting the process, you will need to book an appointment at your consular office. To do so, you will need to send an email to the following email address depending on where you live:

  • cog.londres.residencia@maec.es (London)

  • cog.edimburgo.vis@maec.es (Edinburgh)

  • cog.manchester.vis@maec.es (Manchester)

In the email, write down as subject the type of visa you are looking for (investors visa). On the body of the email, specify the following information:

  • Your personal details: full name, nationality, passport nº and phone number.

  • Type of visa

  • Reason of requesting the visa.

  • Desired date of the appointment you wish to book the appointment (the consular offices only are open for these processes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 09:30 to 12:00), to be confirmed by the consular office.

The final date and time will be confirmed via email by the consulate. The process will be individual, so each family member that wants to apply for the visa will require a separate appointment. Applications can be done through a notarised representative. The investors visa can be applied for up to 90 days before the desired date of entry into Spain.

After obtaining the appointment, and if you comply with the requirements, you will have to provide the following documents to the consular office:

  • Completed national visa form (dated and signed)

  • Recent ID photograph (white background). Check guidelines here.

  • Valid Passport (at least 1 full year of validity and 2 blank pages), copy of all pages.

  • Criminal record (only if 18+) issued by the country/es where the applicant has lived for the past 5 years. The certificate must be legalised.

  • Health insurance (public or private), authorised in Spain, with a minimum validity of one year.

  • Visa fee. You can consult the visa fee list here.

Accreditation of the investment:

  • The applicant shall provide evidence of having acquired ownership of the real estate through a certificate with ongoing information on the ownership and encumbrances from the relevant Land Register for the property or properties. Such certification shall include an electronic verification code to allow for online consultation, otherwise it must be evidenced by deed. The certificate cannot be older than 3 months.

  • If, at the time of the visa application, the acquisition of the real estate is in the process of being entered in the Land Register, it will be sufficient to submit the aforementioned certificate confirming that the purchase document has been entered for filing, accompanied by the documentary proof of payment of the applicable taxes.

  • If the applicant did not complete the purchase, but there is a provisional earnest money contract or other legally accepted means formalized in a public deed, this provisional contract must be provided along with a certificate issued by a Spanish financial institution, stating that the applicant has an unavailable deposit of the required amount. In this case, the applicant will be granted an investor visa for a maximum period of 6 months.

If the investment is made by a marriage with community of property or similar economic regime, and the amount of investment is less than at least a double of the minimum required amount, the investment is considered as made by one of the spouses. The other spouse can apply for residence visa as investor’s dependent.

129 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All