top of page
  • webmaster9923

Bringing your pet (dog, cat or ferret) to Spain from a Non EU Country

Updated: Sep 7, 2023

When entering Spain, you will have to go through a Traveller’s Point of Entry (TPE). Find a list of the Spanish TPE here. You will declare to the Resguardo Fiscal de la Guardia Civil (Guardia Civil Office) that you are travelling with a pet, and present the pet's documentation.

If your pet does not have a European Pet Passport, it must be accompanied by:

  • an animal health certificate, (which must be signed by an official veterinarian of the origin country, and presented in Spanish alone, or Spanish together with the language(s) of that country) Find a model of the certificate here

  • a written declaration stating that its transfer is not due to commercial reasons. This declaration is also necessary if your pet travels under the responsibility of a person authorised by you

Both the certificate and the declaration must be in accordance with European models

  • a certified copy of the identification and vaccination data of the animal.

In addition, your pet will have to:

  • be identified with a microchip, or a legible tattoo (if it was done before 03/07/2011)

  • be vaccinated against rabies with a valid vaccine at the time of travel. You must wait 21 days to travel after your pet is vaccinated. Day 1 is the day after the rabies vaccination. You do not need to wait to travel after a booster vaccination if there has been no break in the vaccine cover.

Your pet will need a new animal health certificate each time you enter Spain issued within 10 days of entry.

Rabies serological test

If your pet enters Spain from a country not listed in Annex II to Regulation 577/2013 here, the pet must have undergone a Rabies Serological test in an approved laboratory.

At least 30 days after vaccination against rabies (in the case of first vaccination) a blood sample must be taken from the animal to verify that the level of post-vaccination antibodies is sufficient (equal to or greater than 0.5 IU/ml).

(See updated list of approved laboratories here and Information note on samples for rabies testing Santa Fe- IVAMI here). The entry of the animal is only authorised after 3 months from the date of the blood sample collection.

Minimum Age of Your Pet upon entry

The minimum age if travelling from a country without rabies risk (within the EU or countries listed in Annex II to Regulation 577/2013 here) is 15 weeks. In practical terms, your pet must be at least 12 weeks old before being vaccinated against rabies, then wait at least 21 days (the period in which immunity is established) before being able to travel.

Spain does not grant exceptions to these rules, nor does it authorise the entry of unvaccinated dogs, cats, and ferrets.

The maximum number of pets that can travel with you within the EU or into Spain from a non-EU country, is five. Travelling with more than five pets requires you to follow commercial regulations here.

Living with your pet in Spain

If you have an EU pet passport issued by an EU Member State, it can be used to travel to other EU countries and also to the UK. If you live in the EU or travel often between the UK and the EU with your pet, one way to be prepared is to get an EU pet passport from your host EU country.

Most importantly, you should find an official vet that can guide you through the process and give you proper guidance.

For full information, please visit the Spanish Government website here

There is different guidance if you’re taking your pet dog, cat or ferret to the UK. Visit the UK Government website here for full information

Want to keep up to date with news and articles to help you live your life in Spain? Sign up here for our free quarterly newsletter, delivered straight to your inbox.

Before you go! We absolutely depend upon the vital support of people like you to ensure that our services and guides are freely available for everyone who needs help. Since the ending of our successful UK Government funded residency project earlier this year, we no longer get any government financial support. So from July 2022, we don’t have enough money to keep our Infoline and Casework support services running full time.

Can you help us?

Your regular donation of just €10 per month will enable us to provide a weekly friendship call to an isolated older person, every week of the year.

Your one off donation of €50 will enable us to make a home visit to a vulnerable person who is struggling to access vital services.

A regular donation of €100 per month will enable us to open our phone lines for longer, so we can continue to help make a difference every day of the week.

It’s easy to make a donation by credit or debit card - here is the link to our donations page.

And remember, if you are a tax payer in Spain, you can claim up to 80% tax relief on your donations of up to 150€ in any tax year and 35% tax relief on amounts over that. So a 20€ donation could cost you only 4€ - or a donation of 100€ would cost you just 20€. We will send you a receipt so you can reclaim your tax when you submit your tax return.


The content displayed on this blog is the intellectual property of Age in Spain. You may not reuse, republish, or reprint such content without our written consent. All information posted is merely for educational and informational purposes. It is not intended as a substitute for professional advice. Should you decide to act upon any information on this blog, you do so at your own risk. While the information on this blog has been verified to the best of our abilities, we cannot guarantee that there are no mistakes or errors. We reserve the right to change this policy at any given time, of which you will be promptly updated. If you want to make sure that you are up to date with the latest changes, we advise you to frequently visit our website disclaimer notice.

Age in Spain provides information about service providers for information only. This list is not exhaustive, and is subject to change at any time. None of the service providers are endorsed or recommended by Age in Spain. You should research whether a service provider will be suitable. Age in Spain does not accept any liability arising to any person for any loss or damage suffered through using these service providers or this information.

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page