top of page
  • stevenburgess4

Your Healthcare - State Healthcare in Spain for UK pensioners, S1 form

Updated: Feb 29

A pair of hands holding a heartbeat line with the Age in Spain Logo

What is the S1 form?

The S1 form allows UK State pensioners who are residents in Spain to receive UK-funded State Healthcare in Spain. If you gained residency before the end of December 2020 and are under the scope of the Withdrawal Agreement, you will also receive primary care, emergency treatment, and hospital care when visiting the UK (find further clarification after the instructions on how to apply and register the S1 form in this guide).

How do I request the S1 form?

The application form for the S1 form is provided by the Overseas Healthcare Services from the NHS. The form, as well as more information, can be requested by phone at:

NHS Overseas Healthcare Services

  • Telephone: +44 (0)191 218 1999

  • Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

  • Saturday, 9am to 3pm

You can also request your S1 form online. You will need to write your request to the following email

We have checked with the relevant authorities and you will be asked for the following;

  • Your National Insurance number

  • The date that you moved to Spain

  • The date you will reach State retuirement Age.

How do I register my S1 form with the Spanish authorities?

You can register your S1 form electronically at the INSS website without needing a digital certificate or a digital signature.

Before starting, make sure you have the following documents saved in your computer:

  • Scanned S1 Form.

  • Completed application form. You can download it here.

  • Certificate of residence/TIE, or favourable resolution from Extranjería.

  • Passport.

  • Census Certificate/ Padrón (Certificate proving register at the local Town Hall).

  • If applying for a dependant, proof of relationship.

Even if you send your documents online, the INSS might require you to book an appointment if they need further information, which you can do here.

Registration process

You can access the INSS registration website through this link. If you already have the application form completed and saved on your computer, press “Enviar solicitud”. If you haven’t completed the application form yet, you can download it by pressing “Descargar Formulario”.

Screen shot from the INSS website

After pressing “Enviar Solicitud”, you will need to confirm your personal details with the system. First, you will need to provide an email address (1). If you are applying as a representative of someone else, tick the dedicated box confirming it so (2). After writing down your email address, you will need to click on“Confirmar Correo” (3).

Screen shot from the INSS website

The INSS will send a code to the email address. Write or copy the code into the box that will appear below.

Screen shot from the INSS website

Once you have confirmed your email address, you will be asked to write down your personal details. On the following boxes, you will need to write your name and surname, the type of ID number you have (NIE or DNI), your ID number and the expiry date of your residency document.

Screen shot from the INSS website

Then, you will need to upload three images into the system. First, you will have to take a self-portrait holding your ID document. You can click “Hacer Foto'' to activate the camera from your device and take the photo right on the spot. If you cannot take photographs from your device, click the “Haz clic aquí” option and follow the instructions (you will need to scan a QR code with your phone) to validate this step. Below you will also need to upload both sides of your TIE separately (one side per box). Once all images are uploaded, press “Continuar” (4).

Screen shot from the INSS website

If you still do not have your TIE or NIE number, tick the box shown in the following image and upload scans of your passport instead of the NIE.

Screen shot from the INSS website

After pressing “Continuar”, you will be directed to the next stage of your application. In the first text box you can write any additional information or circumstances you consider relevant for your application if any. Then you will need to specify the province, city and postal code of your address. Once you are done with this, press “Continuar”.

Screen shot from the INSS website

The next step consists of uploading into the system all the required documents for your application. The first box (big one) is dedicated solely to the Spanish S1 application form (not your S1 form). If you have already completed the application form, upload the document by clicking “Adjuntar”. If you haven’t yet completed that form, you can download it by using the link provided: “lo puedes descargar aquí”. Keep in mind that the session will expire in 30 minutes after entering the website, so we advise having all documents prepared beforehand.

Once you have uploaded the Spanish application form, you can use the section found below called “Añadir otros documentos” to upload the rest of your documents. You will have to upload the following documents:

  • Your S1 form.

  • Your residency favourable resolution issued by Extranjería (in case the police haven’t issued your TIE yet)

  • Proof of relationship to the dependant, if applicable.

  • Empadronamiento.

Screen shot from the INSS website

After uploading your documents, you will need to give consent to the INSS to communicate with you via mobile phone, email and the other contact details previously provided. You can do so by ticking the box “Sí, doy mi consentimiento”. This consent will only affect issues regarding Social Security matters. To finalise the process, tick the “I’m not a robot” box and then click “Firmar Solicitud”.

Screen shot from the INSS website

After pressing “Firmar Solicitud”, you will receive a code to the email address provided to the INSS. You will need to write down that code in the box that will appear below.

Screen shot from the INSS website

Finally, you will need to draw your signature manually with your cursor in the box that will appear below. It doesn’t have to be perfect, but you can erase it and draw it again by clicking “Borrar” if you make a mistake. Finally, press “Continuar” to send in your application.


After sending in your application, you can consult its progress or upload additional documents by clicking “Ya he presentado una solicitud y quiero conocer su estado y/o aportar más documentación” on the main site of the S1 registration.

The INSS will contact you when the application is resolved, and might request you to book an appointment with an INSS office in case they need further information.

The Provisional Replacement Certificate

This certificate can be used if you need health care in the following circumstances:

If you are an S1 form holder, who has applied for residency (or are currently waiting for an appointment) but have not registered your S1 at the INSS because you are waiting for your residency paperwork to be completed. For this reason you have not registered at a health centre either.

If you are in this situation, and you need to access necessary medical care, you can call the Overseas Healthcare Service - OHS (+44 191 218 1999) and ask for a Provisional Replacement Certificate (PRC) to cover any immediate treatment you need. The OHS may require some additional information in order to issue you with a PRC, such as the name of the hospital or health centre. The Provisional Replacement Certificate should be presented at your local health centre or A&E department at the hospital at the point at which you access treatment.

If I get an S1 form, can I still access NHS healthcare when visiting the UK?

  • If you became a resident under the Withdrawal Agreement (you lived in Spain before the end of 2020) you do not have to pay for NHS treatment when visiting England. This includes S1 form holders living in the EU, Switzerland, Iceland, Norway or Lichtenstein, on or before 31 December 2020. Take a copy of your S1 form with you when you visit the UK. You may be asked to present this if you need to access treatment. If you no longer hold a copy, you can call Overseas Healthcare Services (0191 218 1999) and request a copy.

  • If you are not under the Withdrawal Agreement, and because the NHS is a residency-based system, under NHS rules UK nationals who move abroad on a permanent basis lose their entitlement to free NHS healthcare. You should take out appropriate travel insurance when visiting the UK, as you would when visiting any other country. Any treatment you may have to pay for will be charged at 150% of the national NHS rate.


Before you go! We absolutely depend upon the vital support of people like you to ensure that our services are freely available for everyone who needs help.

Did you find this free guide useful?

To help everyone plan their life to the fullest, we provide free, accessible information guides to people like you - in fact to more than 30,000 people in 2022. Our trusted telephone and email Infoline service gives direct one to one help to 3,000 people. Our services completely depend on personal donations to keep them going - from people like you. Can you help? 

Your regular donation of just €15 per month will enable us to provide a weekly friendship call to an isolated older person, every week of the year.

Your donation of €50 will directly support 10 people through our Infoline service.

Your gift of €100 will enable us to make a home visit to a vulnerable, isolated person who is struggling to access vital services.

Please donate if you can: Donate Thank you.

Was this guide helpful? Sign up here for our free quarterly newsletter to keep up to date with news and exclusive articles to help you live your life in Spain.



The content displayed on this blog is the intellectual property of Age in Spain. You may not reuse, republish, or reprint such content without our written consent. All information posted is merely for educational and informational purposes. It is not intended as a substitute for professional advice. Should you decide to act upon any information on this blog, you do so at your own risk. While the information on this blog has been verified to the best of our abilities, we cannot guarantee that there are no mistakes or errors. We reserve the right to change this policy at any given time, of which you will be promptly updated. If you want to make sure that you are up to date with the latest changes, we advise you to frequently visit our website disclaimer notice.

Age in Spain provides information about service providers for information only. This list is not exhaustive, and is subject to change at any time. None of the service providers are endorsed or recommended by Age in Spain. You should research whether a service provider will be suitable. Age in Spain does not accept any liability arising to any person for any loss or damage suffered through using these service providers or this information.

1,403 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page