top of page
  • stevenburgess4

Exchanging and Updating your TIE when you become a Permanent Resident.

Updated: Mar 6

Once you have been officially resident for five years in Spain you become a permanent resident. This means you will gain many of the same rights as a Spanish National.

You will also be able to regain you residency if you are away from Spain for extended periods - up to five years.

Whilst you can officially exchange your card as soon as you reach the 5 year mark, some offices have turned people away when they try to get a new card and told them to reapply once their current TIE with their temporary status has expired. You can renew your TIE card from 60 days before the card expires and up to 90 days after the expiry date. If your existing TIE card has not yet expired, you will not be able to apply online.

Step One - First you must present your documents.


The simplest way to present your documents is online using your Digital Certificate. If you do not yet have a Digital Certificate you can find our guide here. To access the online procedure to present your documents follow this link here.

In Person

You can present documentation in person at an Extranjería Office in the province where you live. For information on the address, telephone numbers and opening hours, click on the following link: here

The need for an appointment depends on each Province. In some Provinces it is not necessary to make one. When an appointment is necessary, it can be made online. To do so, search online: "Cita previa Extranjería". Click on the first link that appears, which is "Administraciones Públicas". First select the province and then the procedure to be carried out. The name varies according to the provinces but it can appear as: “Larga duración” or “Solicitud de Autorizaciones”, or others.

Step One Documentation

  • Official application form (EX-11) in duplicate, duly completed and signed by the foreign national.

  • A complete copy of a valid passport, travel document or registration card.

  • Proof of residence issued by the city council - The Padron dated within three months

Remember to provide copies and take the original copies with you.

Step Two - You must attend an appointment to have your fingerprints taken

Once you have received notice of a favourable resolution, you will need to go to have your fingerprints taken.

In this second step, you must make an appointment for "Toma de Huellas" at the Police office where they do Extranjería’s procedures. Follow this link here

First select the province, and then the procedure to be carried out, which is "Toma de Huellas".

For greater availability of appointments, it is advisable to choose the option: “Cualquier oficina” (and not a specific office). The system will show the offices in your province with available appointments.

Step Two Documentation

  • Notice of Favourable resolution

  • Application form EX-17

  • Proof of payment of fee model 790-012

  • Up to three photos

  • Passport

Again remember to provide copies and take the original copies with you.

What Happens Next?

After submitting the documents, you will be given a provisional certificate for 45 days. Return to the same office to collect the definitive card. Some police stations give notice, others do not, it depends on the region.


If you want to renew after 90 days after expiry, you must start the procedure again and apply for a temporary TIE.

The Long-Term Residence Card must be renewed after 5 years if it was obtained through a visa. However if the card was obtained under the Withdrawal Agreement, it will need to be renewed after 10 years.

Those who have been resident for more than 5 years and have a green card or green paper go directly to the "Toma de Huellas" (fingerprinting) and are given a Long Term Residence Card. Although this may vary from one Province to another.

If the person requiring the card is incapacitated and unable to attend the office to have their fingerprints taken then the procedure can vary in each Region. In the first instance their representative should approach their local office with the person’s proof of identity, their own proof of identity and a letter from the person’s doctor confirming their incapacity. Usually the Police will make a visit to the incapacitated person to confirm their identity and inability to have their fingerprints taken. The person will then have a card issued without prints.

Want to keep up to date with news and articles to help you live your life in Spain? Sign up here for our free quarterly newsletter, delivered straight to your inbox.

Before you go! We absolutely depend upon the vital support of people like you to ensure that our services and guides are freely available for everyone who needs help. We depend on public support and your donation will help us continue to provide everyone with free, reliable and accessible information to help you plan for and live your life in Spain.

Can you help us?

Your regular donation of just €10 per month will enable us to provide a weekly friendship call to an isolated older person, every week of the year.

Your one off donation of €50 will enable us to make a home visit to a vulnerable person who is struggling to access vital services.

A regular donation of €100 per month will enable us to open our phone lines for longer, so we can continue to help make a difference every day of the week.

It’s easy to make a donation by credit or debit card - here is the link to our donations page.

And remember, if you are a tax payer in Spain, you can claim up to 80% tax relief on your donations of up to 150€ in any tax year and 35% tax relief on amounts over that. So a 20€ donation could cost you only 4€ - or a donation of 100€ would cost you just 20€. We can send you a receipt so you can reclaim your tax when you submit your tax return.


The content displayed on this blog is the intellectual property of Age in Spain. You may not reuse, republish, or reprint such content without our written consent. All information posted is merely for educational and informational purposes. It is not intended as a substitute for professional advice. Should you decide to act upon any information on this blog, you do so at your own risk. While the information on this blog has been verified to the best of our abilities, we cannot guarantee that there are no mistakes or errors. We reserve the right to change this policy at any given time, of which you will be promptly updated. If you want to make sure that you are up to date with the latest changes, we advise you to frequently visit our website disclaimer notice.

Age in Spain provides information about service providers for information only. This list is not exhaustive, and is subject to change at any time. None of the service providers are endorsed or recommended by Age in Spain. You should research whether a service provider will be suitable. Age in Spain does not accept any liability arising to any person for any loss or damage suffered through using these service providers or this information.

5,325 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page