• Age in Spain Team

EU Family Card - Guide

Updated: Feb 18

Non-EU family members of an EU citizen who plan to live for more than three months and up to 5 years in the EU need to apply for the EU family member card (Tarjeta de Residencia de Familiar de Ciudadano de la Unión).

What are the requirements?

  • Be a family member of an EU citizen

  • DNI or EU certificate, passport or any other proof of residence by the EU national.

  • Proof of family relationship (birth certificate, marriage certificate).

The following requirements must also be met:

  • For children and grandchildren, proof that they are under age of 21 or they are dependant.

  • For parents and grandparents, proof of dependency.

  • For other family members, proof of dependency that requires personal care from the EU national or proof of living together for a period superior to 24 months in the country of origin.

  • For non-married partners, proof of a long-term relationship (such as padrón, pareja de hecho or inscription to any other public register alongside the EU national).

Which documents should I provide? To apply for the EU Family card, you will have to present the following documents at the Immigration Office in the province where you reside or at the local police station by making an online appointment -cita previa-, within 3 months of the date of your arrival. A provisional document will be given to you to prove your legal stay until the official card is delivered to you.

  • Model EX-19 (2 printed copies), completed and signed by the non-EU family member.

  • Valid Passport from the non-EU family member. In case it is expired, a copy must be provided alongside the renewal request.

  • Document(s) proving the relationship with the EU national.

If the EU-national is employed, he/she may provide any of the following documents:

  • Contract Declaration or Certificate of employment (from the employer) with the name and address of the company, as well as the tax identification and contribution account, or;

  • Employment contract registered at the Public Service of Employment -Servicio Público de Empleo-, or the confirmation of the contract and its conditions through the CONTRAT@ platform, or;

  • Social Security affiliation document.

If the EU-national is self-employed, he/she may provide any of the following documents:

  • Registration in the census of economic activities, or;

  • Inscription in the Mercantile Registry, or;

  • Social Security affiliation document.

If the EU-national is not employed, he/she must provide both documents:

  • Public or private insurance with coverage in Spain equivalent to that provided by the National Health System.

  • Proof of sufficient means. More information here.

The authorities should process the residence card within the 3 months after the application is submitted. If an application is rejected, the answer will be provided in writing stating the grounds for the decision and its implications.

Important note: when providing official documents from other countries, they must be translated to Spanish and apostilled (legalised). Additionally, any public document from the country of origin must be legalised at the Spanish consular office of the country of expedition. Standard forms from the EU are excluded from this requisite.

35 views0 comments


info@ageinspain.org (for general enquiries)

residency@ageinspain.org (for Spanish residency enquiries)

friendline@ageinspain.org (for the Friendline service)


+34 932 20 97 41 - Residency Helpline

+34 971 93 40 85 - General enquires

+34 932 20 93 34 - Friendline

Registered charity number: 597017

CIF G57704363

Correspondence address

C/Can Maçanet 
3 Bajos Izquierda

Palma de Mallorca

07003 Spain

© 2020 Age in Spain. All rights reserved.